Mckinney Courier-gazette > News
Residential gas line fire contained
Photo courtesy of First Response Photography - McKinney firefighters and an Atmos Energy crew clear up the scene of a small fire caused when a residential gas line was cut late Thursday morning in McKinney.
McKinney firefighters contained a gas line fire late Thursday morning before it could cause any damage to surrounding residences.
Around 11 a.m., a contractor accidentally cut a small residential gas line in the 500 block of Parkwood Court in McKinney, said Kyle Easley of the McKinney Fire Department. The gas leak ignited a small fire near the intersection of Parkwood Court and Timber Circle.
An Atmos Energy crew helped firefighters close off the leak and extinguish the fire before it spread to nearby homes, less than 30 minutes after it ignited.
"We requested the gas company's assistance and they were there immediately," said Stacie Durham, MFD public information officer.
The contractor who cut the gas line was transported to the hospital with "very minor injuries," Easley said. "No one was evacuated, there was no damage whatsoever and everyone's fine," he added.
This was the second gas line fire in McKinney over the past few months. A more intense fire occurred Aug. 28 when an Atmos gas line exploded near the intersection of Highway 5 and Medical Center Drive.
That explosion, caused by a construction crew whose equipment accidentally cut into the line, forced off power at nearby Medical Center of McKinney and burned construction vehicles. Power was also shut off at surrounding residences for several hours.
Emergency personnel quickly contained both fires, and neither fire resulted in major injuries for anyone involved.